Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Postcards are Fun.

One day, during high school years, I got a postcard from my classmate.

The message was pretty simple. I didn't really understand why she sent it to me.

And we sat next to each other at school all day. There was no mentioning of this.

But it seemed mysteriously fun, so I got her address from our homeroom list and I wrote her a postcard.


It felt weirdly satisfying for some reason. I just documented 2 minutes of my thoughts and sent it out to the world, openly to whoever saw it in the postal process.

Sometimes I wrote a quote I overheard from strangers, and occasionally, I drew.

It became a thing we did between friends. It grew from 2 to 5, to whoever wants to join in on this. I would always have stamps and an address book with me wherever I went.

I wrote it on a bus.

I sent it from any trip I went on.

I once wrote a message on a note pad and put a stamp on it. Thai Postal Service was so amazing that they put that flimsy piece of paper in a clear plastic sleeve and delivered it to my friend.

Most of my school friends aren't native to Bangkok(myself, included), so I got postcards from different parts of the country when we went on break. It was such a fun surprise every time something showed up in the mail.

We all had cellphones, we texted, we talked, but this was a fun thing that went on for a while.

Sadly, this is what I do now.

But not all is lost!

Ryan and I recently took a trip to Europe. I thought it was a good time to bring back my old crazy hobby.

These are all handmade postcards. I tried to paint on location as much as I could.

But winter in Italy was still pretty freaking cold!






I drew this on a paper table cloth at our last dinner in Rome. We were constantly lost, so this summed up our time in Italy pretty well without additional message.

Wow, this post is soooooo long. If you have read it this far, you all deserve a hug from Ryan.

33 comments:

Carrie Liao said...

Does Ryan know he's giving out these hugs?


You should totally bring postcards back as a trend :) It would be fun to do a giant artist postcard exchange!

I love this post, and I love my little gnome <3

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love these! They are so cool!

Nate Villanueva said...

Oooh im totally taking up that Ryan hug offer!

Stu Livingston said...

I miss snail mail! :( Such a cool project idea

Emerson Tung said...

I have a good friend in Japan that still sends postcards to me. Haha. The postcards look awesome, and the gnome in random places remind me of the movie Amelie.

Seema Virdi said...

haha this is really cute! i actually have a friend who sends me postcards whenever he goes on a trip :) really great post, it was fun to read and nice postcards!

Chris Martin said...

You owe that mailman in Thailand!

Megan Nicole Dong said...

What a fun tradition!! And gorgeous watercolors....Hmmm..since I'm seeing you guys tomorrow I will demand a hug!

chengwhich said...

awww, what a great post! i feel all warm and fuzzy now. haha. :P

DebRiver said...

I loved our postcard! My friends and I used to do something like this in HS but we would write in a sailor moon notebook we had that I found at the 99cent store. :D

Also, Ryan better give me my hug. I love Ryan hugs!

Breann said...

I have a friend that wanted to start a postcard exchange like that, but it never happened. It's such a cute and creative idea I want to do it sometime. The gnomes are so funny and cute.

Arielle.Hearts.Illustration said...

I'm with Carrie on this! a post card exchange would be awesome!

PS i <3 this post, fawn!

Anthony Holden said...

I love this so much. Great drawings, by the way.

basement61.com said...

Really great Fawn, made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Chris Battle said...

SO good! I wish I could draw :P

Jesus Walle said...

there is a book that gives out a really cool idea of bringing back snail mail and everything involved with it. It's called Good Mail Day.

I'm also trying to send letters and cards to my friend at SCAD, while i'm here at CCAD. hopefully we both give each other nice mail.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Mail-Day-Primer-Eye-Popping/dp/1592535372

Hazel & Trusty Canine Teddy said...

I totally agree on bringing back the postcard exchange!!!! I'd even give it a shot at drawing - time to get the rust off the pencils.

So when are you starting? I love the whole set of drawings (you could package these or create greeting cards from them, you know.)

: )

Chris Ybarra said...

Awww. This was a pleasure to read Fawn : )

Stephanie Ramirez said...

Adorable-preteen-fawn is adorable.

Beautiful water colors, nice work!

Steve Umbleby said...

This is wonderful Fawn! I love your watercolors.

Nikhita said...

wow, these are really awesome!! Love the watercoloured postcards! :)

Clio said...

Whooo beautiful postcards!!! I agree everyone should use snail mail again =)

Clio said...

Wow gorgeous postcards you painted! I agree everyone should use snail mail again =)

Kevin Lam said...

For a lack of a different way to put it, these are awesome!! How do I be like you :)

Kenji Ono said...

cute story!

jLou said...

Lovely watercolor painting :D I really enjoy your storyboard-style posts!

Tony Unser said...

Agreed! Love your storyboard posts :)And I'm now considering doing these things you call postcards? Haha just kidding. But sending drawn postcards sounds so fun!

Labor Posters said...

Postcards became a love letter? Indeed.

Jesse Soto said...

It gave me the warm fuzzies reading through the post. Snail mail of awesome post-cards need to come back! I mail some post cards to friends and family when I go traveling. Their excitement for not throwing away junk mail is enough to do it more. So I will try next time I go out of town.

GOGOPEDRO said...

your handwriting ees bueno..

P

Tooninator said...

beautifully simply thoughts on social interaction. Love the idea and the artwork

Francisco said...

Your work is simply stunning!

Avner Geller said...

So appealing and lovely, and those watercolors are gorgeous!