Thursday, March 03, 2011

Read and Animate

Last week Michelle and I went to George Washington elementary school in Burbank to do our little "Read and Animate" session for the 4th grade class.

Michelle did all the reading and I did the animating part which mean drawing really fast while Michelle was reading from "Sideway Stories from Wayside School." It sounded manageable when we signed up for it, but it turned out to be super hard for me. The kids laughed throughout our session, but I'm pretty sure they laughed at how crappy I drew.

During one of the short stories, Michelle thought it would be cool to write a "Discipline" section on the board since a lot of kids in our stories got their names written under it.

The problem was, I didn't know how to spell it.

I mean...I definitely know how to spell it! Don't believe me? Whatever, I was just blanking out.


I'm pretty sure it starts like this.


And...this?

It was a lot of pressure, and I couldn't disappoint them.

They're only ten year olds. May be they don't know how to spell it either, right?

Oh crap, they do?


I guess Michelle already kept on reading while I was panicking about writing the word correctly. One kid actually said, "whoa, that is a hard word!" At least they learned something from us.


They're almost as tall as me. I should have listened to my mom about drinking all those milk and playing basketball and stuff.

21 comments:

Nazario said...

Awwww: love story and lovely illustrations. It's like reading a children's book about children's books.

And I can imagine how you felt. Usually, my grammar is near impeccable (thanks in part to spell-check), but spelling in front of people, especially in schools, where they expect you to know better, can make one crack a sweat.

By the way, judging by the picture, I may have been wrong. I didn't know Burbank was in Mexico!

chengwhich said...

haha, this is great. discipline is a hard word!

Megan Nicole Dong said...

Sideways Stories from Wayside School! Haha, this takes me back. These are awesome drawings, Fawn!

Tobias Schwarz said...

hehehe. great post. nothing beats kid pressure.

Stuart L said...

Lmao....I used to do spelling bees growing up, so if you want to be my apprentice I'm okay with that.

Carrie Liao said...

Yay more stories!

This reminds me of HIMYM haha:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm269/sellega/lj/gifs/proff.gif

KELLY GOLLOGLY said...

Bawhahahhaha- I love this post Fawn!

Daron Leah Nefcy said...

hahaha, thats real cute Fawn!

DrawDoll said...

Hahhahahahahhahahahha!!!!!! Fawn that's awesome!!!!!! I feel like i would get caught up in mishap like this one!

DrawDoll said...

Hahahhahahahahaha! That's awesome Fawn! I feel like I could get my myself into this kind of pickle at some point hahahah you captured the feeling of possible embarrassment really well!

Dan said...

Thats awesome!

Anonymous said...

hahahaha I am pretty buzzed right now! funny post fawn. You're my hero. don't worry I don't even know how to spell "deciplin" either, and I was born here!!!! by the way say hi to Ryan....and Stu, You're such a fu*&^g NERD!!! STOP it!.

Puga

Michael said...

Ha! So funny! Awesome drawings

Fawn said...

Nazario-haha I didn't think about that till you mentioned it.

Chengwhich- I had to spell-check it before I posted this. Yay for technology!

Megan- I didn't grow up with this book. So glad I got to read it now. Such cute and weird stories.

Tobi- They were totally judging us.

Stu- Haha! Whatevs, you spelling bee king.

Carrie- Your session is coming up. Go blow their little 4th grade minds. And may be bring cookies.

Kelly, Daron, Andrea, Dan- glad you guys enjoy this:)

Miguel-hahaha. Thanks for drunk-comment my post. I feel so special.

Michael- Thanks! Your drawing of Carl Sagan is so spotted on. I used to watch (more like listen to) Pale Blue Dot while working..

Steve Umbleby said...

Wow Fawn these boards are AWESOME! I love it! Very cute story too.

k.mediani said...

Woww, this a great cute funny story!! Really love the way you told & drew the story, Fawn.

Claire said...

Oh my gosh - I read this at work while waiting for some too load and did that a really loud gigglesnort that I'm sure people in the next room heard... XD

kyle said...

Geez, even when you aren't drawing stories, you're drawing stories. Then, when you're not doing that, you go and draw a story about it. Amazing.

Tom Davis said...

Too cute! You are such a great storyteller! haha

Pedro Daniel said...

Very expressive drawings! :)

Jenny Lerew said...

This is just fantastic, wonderful stuff. Made my day.