Monday, August 10, 2009

Boo!

Fawn was in San Francisco for the weekend.

On Saturday night, I was alone in our apartment and was putting my dinner plate on the kitchen counter. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a dark spot move on the floor. I froze and stared at it. Was it a mouse? Or maybe just a dustball that was disrupted as I walked by? I slowly reached for the light...

Click.

"Oh, holy sh*t!"

There was a giant cockroach sitting on the linoleum, waving at me. In my memory, the sucker was like 8 inches long, but I think adrenalin always intensifies the details. I'll just say that I haven't seen a roach that big since I was in a Costa Rican rain forest.

I tried to catch it in a cup, but it scooted under the dishwasher before I could get the cup to the floor. We've been living in that apartment for over two years and 'til this point we've only ever seen an occasional spider or one of those little water-loving centipedes in the tub. I'm pretty sure this cockroach moved in and ate them all.

Every time I walk by the kitchen now, my eyes quickly scour the floor. I don't know what to expect. If I see any little roach babies...!

11 comments:

Stuart L said...

Lol just noticed the cartoon on the fridge haha! Love the search labels too great stuff haha. Maybe you shouldn't see District 9 then, or maybe your apartment is like the mini version of that movie haha.

Stephanie said...

OMG!! You need to get an exorcist in there or something. Who know what that guy could be doing while you're asleep...
Its gonna lay eggs in your brains!!!

dana w said...

oh god, that's so traumatizing. i found a house centipede in my bathroom the other day, which i think are equally disgusting. things like that just shouldn't exist.

C.B. Canga said...

ha! well done.

Ryan Green said...

Stuart/Steph: You guys had better not be giving away real plot points to District 9! I know NOTHING about the movie and I'd like to keep it that way until I see it.

Dana: Those centipedes ARE creepy...but I guess they need to exist so that trips to the bathroom don't get TOO monotonous.

C.B.: Thanks!

arlo ramz said...

ewww..while ur at work, he's prolly eating all ur food right now as we speak. bastard.

Mr.Mr. said...

Exactly what I was thinking...District 9. And here, I thought I was getting I sneak preview!

Deb said...

Hahahahaha! You and Joe are meant for each other! I've told you how I liked to grab roaches and fling them at my brothers right. ;)

Fawn said...

I think we should do a new post. Is it my turn?

BTW, I just saw your tag. hahahahahaha!

Dustin Foust said...

HA HA That is funny. I had a spider crawling near my keyboard one morning last week. I haven't worked since.

You have been a posting fool. Nice work!

Puga Vida said...

haha awesome post sir! Usually when bugs come out like that i befriend them and when they turn around i stab em in the back with a fork, and twist it....yes.