Friday, May 09, 2008

Cha-Ching!

Oooo! Now he can buy some comfy dino-slippers or something!

I sketched this in ToonBoom Storyboard Pro, which I learned at my new gig...animating/boarding on the new "Pink Panther & Pals" series. We're scheduled to move to a new building soon, but until we get the server running in the new place, I'm stuck doing animation with this software.

The program isn't difficult...just as inflexible as an 80-year-old. The only advantage it holds over Flash is that there's a built-in feature for camera moves, but I've seen a Flash plug-in that solves that issue already. My biggest problem with Storyboard Pro is that they've limited the minimum number of held frames to THREE. This was done for no reason other than to force you to buy their mega-expensive ToonBoom Digital Pro to go to the animation stage. If you're Bill Plymton, animating on threes or fours is acceptable, but if you want to create something that won't give your audience an epileptic seizure, you're screwed. Anyway...I'm looking forward to trying out ToonBoom Harmony (which is just Digital Pro with server capabilities) once we move. At least I'll get my ones and twos back.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This dino guy needs to hit the gym!

GOGOPEDRO said...

Looks like the line work handles like Flash....

I admit I love drawing with flash. But, the real tragedy is that the poor dino dude can't pick that cash up.....

Arms are too short.


P

oats said...

This illustration is hilarious.

I also love hearing about your experiences with TB Storyboard. I have DIgital Pro and its pretty good. I just wish there was an option to draw with a raster line when doing rough animation and then move to the vector line for the clean-up.

Migg said...

I think the problem is your are trying to use Storyboard Pro as an animation software, which is not.

Its a storyboarding tool with animatic feature, but its not meant at all for frame by frame animation.

If you are looking to create more timed frame by frame animatic, there is Pencil Check Pro coming soon from Toon Boom with a price bellow $400

Ryan Green said...

Pedro: Don't tell him that his arms are too short, cuz he'll remind you that his teeth are sharp.

Chris: I'm looking forward to learning Digital Pro, as I'll finally be able to voice my vote on which is better...that program or Flash.

Migg: Yes. You're right. That's EXACTLY my point. You CANNOT animate in Storyboard Pro, which I was being asked to do. Give me a copy of Flash and I can board, animate, illustrate, create an interactive piece, etc. Give me Storyboard Pro and I can only become frustrated.

Migg said...

Well, you can draw for sure with Flash, but its not a storyboarding software. You cant create PDF in different format on the side, view board thumbnail, type text and export it to Excel, Import Final Draft script, export timeline to Avid or Final Cut Pro, etc...

I agree that you can do many thing with Flash, but its also very generic, whereas Storyboard Pro is specialized.

Using Storyboard Pro for animation is like using Autocad for doing a 3D movie...

Joe Stucky said...

Love to hear your in put on Harmony when you get a chance to use it. A lot of memorization and expensive from what I remember. The line quality was also a little different. But some really cool drawing capabilities through the program as well as some silly 3D knock offs:)!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can't make your animation on threes look good because your posing skills aren't very good. You really have to have STRONG poses if you are working on threes as the lower framerate really exposes every little mistake. They have to be very DYNAMIC to work.

It is easier to hide posing mistakes when working on twos -- the smoother motions means less distinct posing can be done. I used to be in the same position as you...but a really good Asian animator can really work threes.

Maritze said...

Funny, I did one of a t-rex that dropped it's Sippy Cup... well, I thought it was funny...