Tuesday, September 04, 2007

stuffed with scarecrows

A few weeks ago, after watching some crows scavenge for food on a street in the Toluca Lake area, I started doing some hardcore research of the animals. I was fascinated by their niche in the world, flourishing because of our human neighborhoods, yet still outcast from our lives. I started to write a story about a crow and while drawing some concept art, I penned a scarecrow. This straw-filled figure had the same intriguing essence of the crow - being on the fringe of human society, always present, yet never able to become fully integrated - and my story quickly shifted focus from the crow to the scarecrow.




3 comments:

robair said...

Gorgeous stuff!

The Gaber's Sketchblog said...

You're probably screwed on a scarecrow cartoon ever since that Baum kid wrote all those Oz stories about one. Give it a shot. Its a very fresh take on the concept.

Joe Stucky said...

Nice Scarecrows!! Watch out crows these guys are mobile...